Lessons we should learn from Hurricane Matthew
As I walked through my neighborhood, after Hurricane Matthew barely brushed South Florida a few things came to mind. Do people really know how to protect their property? Why being prepared is so important? Yes, you have hurricane coverage on your policy and maybe wishing for a new roof but at what cost?
- If you do not have proper hurricane shutters putting tape on your windows is not going to do much to protect your home. At the very least you should use plywood cut to fit your windows and properly secured to the walls.
- Pay attention to all the items you have in your yard which are not secured such as flower pots, grills, patio furniture etc. Any unsecured items can become a missile that can damage your house or your neighbor’s house.
- Parking your car right up against the house could cause more damage to both your house and your car.
- If you do have shutters or hurricane impact windows and have a front door with glass that is not covered you are defeating the purpose of the shutters. Hurricane force winds will always attack the weakness point in the structure.
- Likewise, if you shutter half the windows and leave the other half unprotected they will not be effective in preventing damage to your home. You cannot guess which way the wind is going to blow, as storms are unpredictable and small tornadoes are known to pop during a storm.
- You’re “all perils” or Non-hurricane deductible is not the same as the Hurricane deductible. Your hurricane deductible is usually either 2% or 5% of the Dwelling coverage.
For example, if your Dwelling coverage is $250,000 then at 2% your deductible is $5,000.00. If your hurricane deductible is 5% then your deductible would be $12,500.
Before, the insurance carrier pays one dollar you would have to come up with this amount to pay towards your damages.
- We were spared a category 4 Hurricane, this time, however, that doesn’t mean you should not take any hurricane warnings seriously and prepare. A few mile to the west and we would have felt the full force of Matthew.
Don’t wait till a storm is coming, now is the time to review coverage and possible deductibles with your agent. Now is the time to ask questions about your policy.
Insurance Today Inc is a consumer-friendly agency and we always make time to review policies with our present and future customers.